Girl, 13, dies from suspected poisoned drink

ILLUSTRATION: The deceased had a ginger drink at a party

Police have confirmed the death of a 13-year-old girl who reportedly died last Thursday after drinking ginger in a family party at Masukwane village in the North East.

- Advertisement -

It is alleged that the Standard 6 school girl had travelled with her parents from Gaborone to their home village, Masukwane where upon arrival they attended a party.

The girl started vomiting after consuming the ginger drink on July 16th, 2023 and later on July 18th, after the family arrived in Gaborone she continued vomiting.

She was taken to a clinic in Mogoditshane where she was treated and discharged.

- Advertisement -

The following day the family travelled to Molepolole where the girl’s condition worsened and she was taken to Scottish Livingstone Hospital where she was also treated and discharged.

Later in the afternoon the girl’s condition deteriorated and she was returned to the hospital where she was certified dead upon arrival.

- Advertisement -

The matter was then reported to Molepolole police who are investigating the matter.

Station Commander, Superintendent Benedict Matlho confirmed to The Voice Online that they are investigating the death incident.

- Advertisement -

“We are just waiting for the post-mortem results which will guide us in our investigations,” he explained.

Leave a comment