After a year of stress, the North West Regional Educational Officer’s ex-husband, Mmolaatshephe Letlhare has been freed from a threat-to-kill charge following the matter’s withdrawal before Maun Magistrate Court this week.
The 53-year-old sighed with relief on Monday morning, when court accepted his ex-wife, Veronica Mochotlhi’s decision to drop the case.
“As per the Director’s consent, the case is withdrawn,” ruled Chief Magistrate, Thebeetsile Mulalo.
In a story that made front page news in The Voice back in August last year, Letlhare was facing one count of threat-to-kill after allegedly threatening to shoot his then wife should his efforts to bewitch her fail.
The warning was allegedly made after Mochotlhi reminded him of her intention to seek a divorce via a WhatsApp message.
In response, Letlhare is said to have told her over the phone, “I will rather bewitch you and if I fail I will shoot you with a gun.”
The Kanye native was then arrested but later released on a P3, 000 bail and two sureties who had to each pay the same amount.
Although Letlhare was only freed from the charge this week, Mochotlhi had a change of heart almost immediately after registering the complaint, putting it in writing a few weeks after the report.
Her letter was sent to Directorate of Public Prosecution to give guidance on how best to proceed. Over a year later, the Director has finally given consent for the matter to be withdrawn.
At the time of the alleged conflict, the two already had a divorce case before Maun High Court which has since been granted, bringing an end to their 20-year marriage.