Ad imageAd image

Drinking spree ends in death


*Man accused of strangling his lover after boozy night

A young couple’s Friday night drinking spree ended in tragedy with the man allegedly strangling his girlfriend to death.

Fuelled by alcohol and anger, 22-year-old Onneile Ontshutile is accused of killing his age-mate lover, Bachaisa Tujwane on the evening of 24 January.

- Advertisement -

The Otse village resident appeared before Molepolole Magistrates Court on Tuesday charged with murder.

It is alleged the pair had been drinking ‘Khadi’ traditional brew at a depot in Otse when Ontshutile decided it was time to go home.

However, as it was raining, Tujwane told him they should wait until the rain cleared.

It seems Ontshutile got tired of waiting and pulled his girlfriend away from the depot, forcing her to follow him.

Police suspect that on the way home, the accused strangled his lover, leaving her lifeless body lying in the bush.

It appears some of the revellers who had been drinking at the depot were concerned at the abrupt manner in which the couple left and so went to search for them.

- Advertisement -

They were shocked to find Tujwane’s corpse sprawled out on the wet ground.

Requesting that the suspect be remanded in custody, Sojwe Police Station Commander, Superintendent Ketsiso Lemogang told court the cops were still waiting for the post-mortem report.

He further noted Ontshutile should be locked up for his own safety as tempers amongst the public were dangerously high.

It was a request the court agreed to, sending the accused murderer to prison until his next mention, set for 17 February.

Meanwhile, Superintendent Lemogang told The Voice there was another murder in his jurisdiction on Monday afternoon.

- Advertisement -

“We are investigating a 43-year-old man suspected to have murdered another man at Talebale cattlepost,” revealed the top cop.

He explained that the duo had a misunderstanding which quickly turned physical.

“They started fighting and the suspect allegedly hit the deceased with a hard object on the back of his neck. He was later reported dead,” continued Lemogang, adding the suspect has been arrested and will appear before court soon.

The police boss urged the public to avoid excessive drinking as it is becoming an increasingly common prelude to murder.

Leave a comment