Killer soldier sent back to Sbrana

Christinah Motlhabane

A mentally disturbed man convicted of the brutal murder of his two young daughters three years ago was remanded in custody by Francistown Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

The court also ruled that troubled former soldier, Thebe Njavera, 30, who is now facing charges of armed robbery and attempted murder, be sent for psychiatric evaluation.

Presiding over the case, Magistrate Dlamini Ngandu ruled, “You were denied bail in your last mention yet you did not challenge the investigating officer when he was praying that you be denied bail.

“You are allowed to seek bail at the High Court. Until then you will remain in police custody Additionally, the accused must be taken to Sbrana for psychiatric evaluation,” continued Ngandu before setting the next mention for 25th May.

- Advertisement -

Having escaped from Sbrana Psychiatric Hospital in October last year, Njavera was re-arrested early last month after he was overpowered by the people he was allegedly trying to rob.

Police believe that on the evening of March 3rd, the ex-BDF man, armed with a gun, attempted a robbery at Glory Miracle Pabernacle Church – located in the bush between Francistown Club Golf Course and Donga location.

It is said Njavera found three people praying at the church and demanded they give him money, threatening to shoot them if they refused.

However, his plan reportedly backfired, with the trio – two men and a woman – managing to overwhelm him. They then promptly dragged him to the police station.

Njavera’s latest brush with the law follows his 2016 conviction for killing his children, four-year-old Palesa Ramaditse and Paseka Ramaditse, 2.

- Advertisement -

The two girls were brutally murdered at their home in Francistown’s Somerset Extension location on 4th February, 2013 following an altercation between Njavera and their mother.

However, the High Court ruled that Njavera was of ‘unsound mind’ when he committed the offence. Upon direction from the then President, Ian Khama, the murderer was sent to Sbrana where he was detained up until his escape six months ago.

Leave a comment