Known for his moving speeches and eloquent tongue, this time Borakalalo ward Councillor, Bashima Shakes Khan’s words have landed him in trouble with the law.
Accused of threatening to kill the boyfriend of one of his workers, the Botswana National Front (BNF) member appeared in court last week after spending a night in police holding cells.
Khan, 52, is said to have threatened the life of Tumo Ditlhong, 30, allegedly turning up at the younger man’s house in Letlhakeng on the evening of Sunday 8 February.
The trouble seemingly started the previous day when Ditlhong’s girlfriend, who works at a depot owned by the councillor, knocked off early from duty after realising there were no customers and felt unsafe.
According to sources, when Khan called her to find out where she was, her boyfriend answered the phone, explaining they were not together.
It is believed the politician, popularly known as ‘Uncle Shakes’, then called a second time, becoming angry and aggressive when the man answered again.
A pissed-off Ditlhong reportedly responded with some choice insults of his own.
“Later on Sunday evening, Khan went to Ditlhong’s place accompanied by two men. That’s where the threats came; the councillor threatened the young man saying he will shoot him with a gun or ‘hire his boys’ from Borakalalo to kill Ditlhong. He further told him that their fight will not simply end there,” said a source close to the case.
Frightened for his life, Ditlhong then took the matter to Letlhakeng Police Station the next morning.
This was confirmed by Letlhakeng Station Commander, Nchibzi Mpayang, who informed The Voice, “A 30-year-old young man had reported that ‘a certain man’ went to his place on the previous evening threatening to kill him.
“We looked for the suspect who later handed himself before the police on Tuesday. During questioning we realised he is a councillor for Borakalalo ward in Molepolole. We are still on investigations, since it is a threat to kill case; we usually detain the suspects as we don’t know if they will end doing their intentions,” added the Superintendent.
Hauled before Molepole Magistrates Court on Wednesday (11 February) after a night in the cells, Khan was granted bail, with his next mention scheduled for 25 June.
Conditions for his freedom included not interfering with the investigations, witnesses and the complainant and to attend court when required.
Called for a comment, Khan promised to respond within five minutes; however, his phone than rang unanswered.
When The Voice finally got hold of the Councillor via WhatsApp, he texted back, “I have got nothing to say to you my sister, sorry.”

