Home Sports Tafic FC on shaky ground

Tafic FC on shaky ground

Tafic FC on shaky ground
SHOWING A UNITED FRONT: Tafic management

Early signs of cracks at Matjiminyenga as Motaung quits

The euphoria still hangs in the atmosphere, and the celebratory chants are still vividly playing in the minds of many. Tafic Sporting Club however walks into the BTC Premiership as a weakened force.

Voice Sports can exclusively reveal that Tafic’s Technical Manager Carlos Motaung has parted ways with the club after what inside sources claim was an ‘avoidable’ exit.

Motaung has been one of the most visible Tafic officials before the club’s dramatic return to the premier league after a three year hiatus.

Tafic’s failure to return to top flight football for the last three seasons has always been attributed to office politics rather than the players inability.

Infighting has been largely blamed for Matjiminyenga’s inability to lure sponsors of note. However under Motaung’s committee led by Chairman Thomas Maika, the Reds looked a formidable force; the committee seemed to be pulling together in one direction, but only just.

This week Voice Sport was notified of Motaung’s eminent departure from Tafic’s structures after allegedly falling out with some members of the executive committee.

A close source told Voice Sport that there was a stand-off between committee members on what route the team should take as they prepare for life in the premier league.

Apparently top on the agenda was the appointment of the next coach which divided opinion.

“Motaung decided to quit on a point of principle.”

“Most of the committee members were against his resignation, but he insisted that he could only stay if all decisions taken were principled and in line with good governance,” said the source.

In a telephone interview with Voice Sports on Wednesday, Maika confirmed that they were still sorting out the issue of the head coach.

The chairman was non-commital on the time frame though, as time slowly ticks away.

He also could not be drawn into discussing Motaung’s reported departure.

“I’m not aware of anyone quitting their positions,” said Maika.

“Call him and revert back to me,” he said.

Reached for comment Motaung neither confirmed nor denied his departure, choosing instead to refer all questions to the Chairman.

It was a strange response from him as he has never shied away from fielding questions from the media.

In an interview with Voice Sport last Wednesday Motaung was upbeat ahead of planned trials for players.

He said the trials would last for three weeks to give the new technical team ample time to asses players.

“We want whoever will take over as head coach to have ample time to look at the players he would have chosen in training and friendly games. With this in mind we’ll organize a lot of friendly matches. It would be unfair on both the coaches and players not to do that,” said Motaung then.

Seven days later the ever willing Motaung is reluctant to discuss the future of Tafic with the media and is referring all questions to his chairman.

Tafic gained automatic promotion in the north first division, piping challengers Motlakase Power Dynamos and Sua Flamingos to the title.

Matjiminyenga joins Sharps Electrical and Santos, the latter qualifying through promotional playoffs at the expense of Dynamos.

The Francistown giants had an ambitious plan. The management even went on a benchmarking trip at Township Rollers which was viewed by many supporters as a move in the right direction.

There were even rumours of a marquee signing for The Reds to mark their return to top flight football.

Operation ‘gwilila’ was a resounding success, now with the muffled musings of the committee will operation ‘galila tjose’ become a reality?