An arrest warrant has been issued for three suspected human traffickers who are thought to have fled the country after they failed to turn up for court on Monday.
The all-male Malawian trio, John Mayodi, Enock Nkatha and Gaston Kamanga, each face five counts of human trafficking and had been due to appear before Francistown High Court.
It is alleged that on July 11, 2016 at Kazungula border, acting together with a common purpose and with intention to deceive and exploit, the accused unlawfully recruited and transported three women: Mary Mhone, Melise Biston, Sakina Kaboda, her baby boy, Graig Kaboda and a 23-year-old man, Tomasi Manda from Malawi with intention to traffic them to South Africa.
In January this year, Francistown High Court Judge, Bashi Moesi granted the three men bail, despite the state’s concerns.
Their freedom came with strict conditions, one of them being that the state could apply for electronic tagging to monitor their movements if they wished to.
Moesi also ordered the accused to enter into a bond of P15, 000 adding that under no circumstances where they to contact the victims, either directly or indirectly.
“This means no contact whatsoever, by whatever means,” Moesi had instructed, before forbidding the trio to leave the country or visit Kasane, which is where the victims were being sheltered.
He also ordered the accused persons to surrender their travelling documents to Tatitown Police Station, where they were told to report every Wednesday and Sunday, between the hours of 07:30 and 17:00.
However, when contacted for a comment, Tatitown station Commander, Seanokeng Nkau said that she hasn’t heard of the three Malawians.
“This is news to me, I’m only learning about them from you,” Nkau said, adding that they were not reporting to her police station.
The three men are due to appear in court on May 8th with the police currently searching for them.