Home Home-Featured Shanganani JSS girls’ hostels gutted by fire

Shanganani JSS girls’ hostels gutted by fire

Exams postponed as students undergo counselling

2844
0
UP IN FLAMES: Part of the hostel block

A block of girls hostels at Shanganani Junior School in Tsamaya was gutted by fire early Monday morning, interrupting end of term examinations planned for the day.

The fire consumed the block in the morning as students were attending their early lessons.

According to Education Regional Director, Mabonga Gadibolae, the Fire Department is yet to establish the cause of the fire which has left 32 girls without accommodation and other important personal belongings.

“All the students were offered counselling and the 32 affected students are receiving continuous counselling. They are being provided with toiletries and alternative accommodation,” said Mabonga.

The Regional Director said valuation is still to be done to find out how much it will cost to repair or build a new block of hostels.

Although Mabonga could not shed more light on the cause of the fire, The Voice learnt that the fire was ignited by an electric iron which was left on by one of the students.

Tsamaya Village Development Committee Chairperson, Reginald Modongo, told The Voice in an interview that they are meeting this afternoon to find ways they can help the stranded students.

“These students need new mattresses, clothing and toiletry, we have to act now to help them. In fact I think we have been too slow to respond to this catastrophe and I can assure you that by this afternoon we would have come up with some interventions,” he said.