Home Court Stories Ntsuape denied bail

Ntsuape denied bail

REMANDED: Ntsuape under police escort

Notorious murder and arson suspect, Gobuamang Ntsuape was remanded in custody following his unsuccessful bail hearing at Francistown Magistrates Court yesterday.

The 30-year-old Ramotswa-native is accused of deliberately setting fire to his ex-girlfriend’s house on the 22nd of September – an action that resulted in the death of her mother, Sadie Kgosiemang, 54.

It was concerning this charge that Ntsuape was requesting bail – a request that magistrate Kaveri Kapeko denied, advising him to apply to the High Court instead.

However, Ntsuape is further accused of inadvertently causing the deaths of police officer, Thuso Ntusa and prisoner, Emmanuel Mapholo on the first of December.

The two died when the minibus they were traveling in, which was transporting six prisoners to Gerald Estate Prison, overturned.

TRAGIC: The accident

Ntsuape is believed to have caused the crash by attempting to overpower the vehicle’s driver.

Yesterday morning, immediately after his bail hearing, he appeared before court for the first mention in connection with Ntusa and Mapholo’s manslaughter.

He is also charged with the lesser crime of disabling in order to commit an offence.

To add to the drama, Ntsuape refused to move from court 5, where the first hearing took place, meaning police officers were required to forcibly drag him to court 2 for his second trial.

In slightly surreal scenes, considering he had just been denied bail an hour earlier, Investigating Officer, Lynn Ookeditse Agang, pleaded with court to remand Ntsuape in custody.

She noted that investigations into the incident were still ongoing, adding that Ntsuape’s safety would be in danger if he was released, as feelings amongst the community were still dangerously high.

For the second time in the space of two hours, Ntsuape was denied bail, and was remanded in custody until the 22nd of December, when both cases are set to continue.