Home Court Stories Minister Makgato refuses to drop threat to kill charges

Minister Makgato refuses to drop threat to kill charges

1739
0
SHARE
Minister Makgato refuses to drop threat to kill charges
NO FOR AN ANSWER: Dorcas Makgato

•’Makgato denied me a loan because I did not have BDP membership card’

The Minister of Health and Wellness, Dorcus Makgato has refused to drop charges against a man who allegedly insulted her and threatened to kill her.

This was revealed in court this week by the Police who told the Presiding Magistrate, Tshepo Thedi that the accused man, 40 –year- old Wazha Tombo had requested for a ‘truce meeting’ with the minister.

According to the state prosecutor, Tombo had requested to meet with Makgato to apologise and ask for forgiveness but she didn’t want to meet him.

Tombo is facing two counts of threat-to-kill allegedly made on July 5, 2017.

Court records state that Tombo had sent the minister a message: “Dorcas you b***h, my mother has died in your slaughter house of Letsholathebe hospital and I hopelessly buried her. I wish your mother could have miscarried you. I would be living in peace like a responsible person. This year, I want that loan, or I will behead you.”

During his first appearance, Tombo told the court that he insulted the minister out of anger because she used her powers then as the minister of Trade and Industry to block his P2.7 million loan application because he was not a BDP member.

“Makgato told me to produce a BDP membership card first if I was serious about the loan. She told me that my Identity Card (Omang) was rubbish and the pertinent thing was for me to produce the BDP membership card. She did that deliberately knowing that I was supporting an opposition party,” Tombo is quoted saying in his previous mentions.

He alleges that he had been reliably informed that his loan application had been granted but Makgato later overturned the decision.

Minister Makgato refuses to drop threat to kill charges
IN HOT SOUP: Wazha Tombo

The accused further asked the court to grant him a travelling warrant, as he did not have money to travel back and forth between Shakawe where he lives and Gaborone for court mentions.

His plea was denied with the Magistrate saying, “I will only stick to issues before this court. And that is the threat to kill charge and use of insulting language, I am not going to deal with any other issues or allegation.”

The Police have since completed their investigations and have forwarded the case to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The case will return to court on March 27th.