Substance abuse addiction sometimes referred to as dependence is a condition whereby, an individual has to use his/her drug of choice in order to function.
It is a state in which a person requires a steady concentration of a particular substance to avoid experiencing withdrawal symptoms.
It usually results in repeated adverse social consequences, for example, interpersonal conflicts; failure to meet work, family, or school obligations; legal problems; etc.
The individual also has a need for increased amounts of the substance to maintain desired effects, and a great deal of time spent in activities related to substance use.
Moving from being dependent to independent of substances is challenging but possible. Below are some things that one can expect in this journey of recovery at BOSASNet:
- Depending on the severity of dependence, you may be referred for detoxification
- There is no “one size fits all” solution, understand that treatment will be tailor made according on your assessment
- Treatment will not be limited to only substance addiction: Addiction affects your whole life, including relationships, career, health, and psychological well-being. Treatment success depends on developing a new way of living and addressing the reasons why you are dependent in the first place.
- Commitment: Attending all your scheduled appointments is a huge key in tackling dependence. Most of our successes at BOSASNet are by individuals who regularly attend sessions.
- Group sessions may be recommended by your counsellor: spending time with people who understand exactly what you’re going through can be very healing. You can also benefit from the shared experiences of the group members and learn what others have done to stay sober.
In conclusion, when you’re struggling with drug dependence, sobriety can seem like an impossible goal, but recovery is never out of reach, no matter how hopeless your situation may seem.
Change is possible with the right treatment and support. You can find BOSASNet on Facebook, visit us on www.bosasnet.com, or call us on 3959119 or 72659891 for more information.