Two children perished in an inferno on Thursday while their two siblings sustained serious burns at Bontleng location after their parents went on a drinking spree and left them unattended in a candle lit house.
Detective Superintendent Madziba Duna of Urban police station confirmed the incident and said the parents were yet to be charged. “At the moment we are still carrying out investigations into the matter, but the parents face a likely charge of child negligence. They have since been released due to the nature of the tragedy that befell them,” he said.
It is alleged that on the night of Independence day, flames were seen coming from the house and children were heard screaming in sharp pain before a neighbor called the police.
The police responded to the report and with the help of the fire brigade and members of the police they managed to put out the fire.
A 13-year old boy and his 6-year old sibling were retrieved from the inferno with serious burns and were rushed to Princess Marina Hospital.
Their younger siblings aged 3 years and 1 year respectively were not so lucky as their charred remains were also retrieved amid scenes of anguish and disappointment.
The children’s mother, Abueng Modikwa, 32, who was later found drunk by the police told them that she had left the children in the care of their father, Mothethwa Moeng, 42, who also denied and said he had left them with their mother.
Superintendent Duna said initial investigations suggest that the fire may have been ignited by the burning candle.
He also advised parents to be more cautious and to desist from neglecting their children.