A 13-month old baby was burnt to death last night at Ditlharapa village near Ramatlabama after the house she was sleeping in caught fire.
Superintendent Tshegofatso Patrick Mokumako of Ramatlabama Police confirmed the incident this morning and that the body was certified dead upon arrival at Goodhope Hospital. “The baby had been staying with her grandmother at Ditlharapa village, so at around 7pm the old woman left her in the care of the aunt. The aunt then went to the toilet leaving the baby in the bedroom with a candle that was burning from a cup and on her way back she found the house on fire,” he said.
Out of panic, the worried aunt is said to have thrown herself in the inferno to rescue the baby, but she failed as the flames were too strong.
The police were called and they managed to douse the raging fire from the four bed-roomed house and removed the charred remains of the baby.
The traumatized aunt who had also sustained some burns on the arms and face was also taken to the hospital where she was admitted.